08-04-13

Baby Thatcher Verhofstadt: “The weak position of the EU makes me sick”

Image

Verhofstadt on Libya: “The weak position of the EU makes me sick”

16.3.2011

Today at a meeting in Parliament to assess the results of last week's European Council, Guy Verhofstadt denounced the inability of the EU to take decisive action on the Libyan crisis. "This makes me sick," he declared.

"I want to use this opportunity to salute the fifty heroes, the fifty heroes in the power plant of Fukushima, the fifty heroes who at this very moment risk their life in order to save the people of Japan from a nuclear catastrophe. But Japan, for all its tragedy, is an event we cannot change. We can help. We must help. But unfortunately we cannot change.

"In Libya on the contrary we can change the course of events.  In Libya there are heroes as well. Thousands of them. Sacrificing their life for nothing else then freedom and democracy.  And what are we doing in order to prevent this? What are we doing to prevent what is in fact a new Srebrenica, a new Rwanda, a new Darfur?  Are we helping them? Defending them? Supporting them with arms or a no fly zone? Are we recognizing the opposition government? Are we trying to keep the democratic revolution alive?  No, we are sending fact finding missions".

"Have we learnt nothing from the past? It is now or never".

http://www.alde.eu/press/press-and-release-news/press-release/article/verhofstadt-on-libya-the-weak-position-of-the-eu-makes-me-sick-37283/

===

Verhofstadt and the 'federal European superstate':

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nilegardiner/100198827/guy-verhofstadt-calls-david-cameron-a-madman-britain-should-not-have-to-listen-to-sneering-eurofederalists/

Belgium’s ‘Baby Thatcher’ caught in tussle over top EU job:

http://www.eubusiness.com/topics/commission/aggregator/040617135710.rvkhjj54

‘Baby Thatcher’ returns as Belgian PM:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2003-07-13/baby-thatcher-returns-as-belgian-pm/1447358

Blair backs ‘Baby Thatcher’ for Commission:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/blair-backs-baby-thatcher-for-commission-6169119.html

05-11-12

Hillary Clinton: 'Libya may become democracy or face civil war'

Clashes in Libyan capital, car blast rocks Benghazi.jpgNovember 4, 2012

Intelligence HQ in Libyan capital under grenade attack, militias clash outside

---

Libya’s intelligence headquarters has been struck by a rocket propelled grenade as two rival militia groups clashed in Tripoli, says Al Arabiya TV.
At least five people have been injured, while the building has been partially destroyed, RT’s Paula Slier reports.

According to Al Jazeera the two militia groups clashed as one gang was trying to rescue one of its members, who had been captured by the other gang.

The Central Tripoli Hospital also came under fire as militiamen attacked one another.

Earlier on Sunday a car bomb targeted a police station in the city of Benghazi injuring three police officers.

The attacks come just days after some 100 civilians and self-proclaimed rebels broke into the Libyan National General Congress, forcing the parliament to postpone a vote on a new cabinet.

More than a year after Muammar Gaddafi`s regime was dismantled, the country is still torn by clashes between armed militias, with the current government failing to restrain them.

Another problem is Libyan fragmentation, with numerous tribes confronting one another. On Saturday several thousand Libyans rallied for autonomy of the east, which has vast oil resources.

Photo: On Nov 5, 2012, Libya's two largest cities were rocked by violence with clashes between militias wounding five in the capital and a car blast hurting three policemen in Benghazi.

http://rickrozoff.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/natos-bloody-l...

-------

1.3.11.Mrs Clinton said Col Gaddafi must go now.without further violence or delay.jpg

Hillary Clinton: 'Libya may become democracy or face civil war'

1 March 2011

Libya could become a peaceful democracy or face years of civil war, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has told Congressional lawmakers.

Mrs Clinton appeared on Capitol Hill to urge Congress not to cut funds needed to deal with crises abroad.

Meanwhile, US Defence Secretary Robert Gates said the US was weighing "a lot of options and contingencies".

The comments came a day after the US began repositioning warships and military aircraft in the Libya region.
'Decision space'

In Washington on Tuesday, senior officials in President Barack Obama's administration maintained pressure on Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi to step down from power.

At the Pentagon, Mr Gates said the US military aimed to give Mr Obama "the broadest possible decision space", while emphasising that no decision on a course of action had been made.

He said 400 US Marines had been deployed to assist in humanitarian and evacuation efforts.

Meanwhile, Mrs Clinton reiterated demands that Col Muammar Gaddafi "must go now, without further violence or delay".

"The entire [Middle East] region is changing, and a strong and strategic American response will be essential," Mrs Clinton said to the House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee in prepared testimony.

"In the years ahead, Libya could become a peaceful democracy, or it could face protracted civil war. The stakes are high.

"And this is an unfolding example of how we use the combined assets of diplomacy, development and defence to protect our interests and advance our values."

She added that the US was working to translate the "world's outrage into action and results".

The US ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice, told reporters in Washington that the US would continue to place pressure on Col Gaddafi until he resigns, while working to stabilise oil prices and avert a possible humanitarian crisis.

"We are going to keep the pressure on Gaddafi until he steps down and allows the people of Libya to express themselves freely and determine their own future," Ms Rice told US media.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12611925

16:24 Gepost door Jan Boeykens in 'democracy', Hillary Clinton, Latest News, Libya | Permalink | Commentaren (0) |  Facebook |

02-11-12

Nato-Germany

Nazi.Germany.V1 Buzzbomb.jpg

Photo: Nazi-German V1 Buzzbomb. The V1 Flying bomb was the worlds first cruise missile and  was capable of killing large numbers of people, inflicting terrible injuries and causing huge material damage to buildings and homes.

The V-1 flying bomb began attacks on London and Antwerp, Belgium in the summer and fall of 1944, after the Allied landings. 

The toll of the V1 attacks on London, human suffering was appx. 6184 people killed by V1's and 17981 seriously injured and maimed. Tens of thousands of others received lesser injuries.

-----

Le Republic-Ford JB-2.une version américaine du V1.jpg

Photo: Republic-Ford JB-2. the American version of the V1

The Republic-Ford JB-2 Loon was a United States copy of the German V-1 flying bomb. Developed in 1944, and planned to be used in the United States invasion of Japan (Operation Downfall), the JB-2 was never used in combat. It was the most successful of the United States Army Air Forces Jet Bomb (JB) projects (JB-1 through JB-10) during World War II. Postwar, the JB-2 played a significant role in the development of more advanced surface-to-surface tactical missile systems such as the MGM-1 Matador and later MGM-13 Mace.

An interesting link about NATO: http://rickrozoff.wordpress.com/

19:50 Gepost door Jan Boeykens in Latest News, Libya, NATO, Nato Germany, Syria | Permalink | Commentaren (0) |  Facebook |

13-09-12

US envoy dies in Benghazi consulate attack

Egypt-protest-US-Embassy-Flag.jpg

12 Sep 2012 -The US ambassador to Libya and three other American staffers died on Tuesday night in an attack on the US consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi, US officials have said.

An armed mob attacked and set fire to the consulate building during a protest against an amateur film deemed offensive to Islam's prophet, Muhammad, after similar protests in Egypt's capital.

The two incidents came on the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 al-Qaeda attacks in the US.

The US government confirmed that Ambassador Chris Stevens and information technology officer Sean Smith, in addition to two unnamed personnel, died in the attack. Libyan security source told Al Jazeera that Stevens died from smoke inhalation.

US President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton pledged to bring the attackers to justice in public remarks on Wednesday morning and said the attack would not break the bonds between the United States and Libya.

In a press conference, Libyan Prime Minister Abdurrahim al-Keib said the government "will do all in our power to respond to this incident in order for all the perpetrators to be arrested and penalised."

Nearly 3,000 demonstrators, many of them supporters of the ultraconservative Salafist movement, gathered at the US embassy in Cairo in protest against the amateur film.

A dozen men scaled the embassy walls and one of them tore down the US flag, replacing it with a black one inscribed with the Muslim profession of faith: "There is no God but God and Muhammad is the messenger of God."

Demonstrators also scrawled the first part of the statement "There is no God but God" on the walls of the embassy compound.

Al Jazeera's Sherine Tadros, reporting from outside the US embassy in Cairo, said that the protesters want the film - portions of which can be found online - "out of circulation".

"Most of the people I've spoken to here ... say that they've seen the trailer to this film and that they're here outside the American embassy to stay until the film is pulled," she said.

Egyptian police intervened without resorting to force and persuaded the trespassers to come down.

The crowd then largely dispersed, leaving just a few hundred protesters outside the US mission.

Mustafa Abushagour, the deputy prime minister, called the killings "an attack on America, Libya and the free world".

US officials said a team of roughly 50 specialised rapid response Marines trained in protecting government personnel abroad had been dispatched to reinforce security in Libya. 

Stevens was paying a short visit to the city when the consulate came under attack, Al Jazeera's Suleiman El-Dressi reported from Benghazi.

Two staff members were injured, El-Dressi reported. Up to 10 Libyan security guards who battled the attackers also died, said Ibrahim Dabbashi, Libya's envoy to the United Nations.

Clinton and Obama praised the Libyans who attempted to defend the consulate and brought Stevens's body to a hospital, where a doctor reportedly tried to revive him for 90 minutes.

Attack appeared 'planned'

Libyan Deputy Interior Minister Wanis al-Sharif blamed loyalists of former Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi for the attack, while stressing that the United States should have removed its personnel from the country when news of the film's release broke.

"It was necessary that they take precautions. It was their fault that they did not take the necessary precautions," he said.

Sharif cited protests that broke out earlier this summer when al-Qaeda second-in-command and Libyan citizen Abu Yahya al-Libi was killed in a US drone strike in Pakistan. On Tuesday, in a little-noticed development, al-Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri publicly confirmed Libi's death.

Quilliam, an British think tank that aims to oppose Muslim extremism, asserted on Wednesday that the attack on the consulate was not part of a protest but a "planned terrorist assault" to avenge Libi's death.

Quilliam said that the evidence pointing to such a conclusion came from witness statements that those outside the consulate were carrying RPGs and that the assault came in two apparently calculated waves, the second of which targeted the Americans after they had fled the consulate for a safe house.

Sharif said that those who attacked the consulate were more heavily armed that the Libyan security services tasked with protecting the embassy. The group Ansar al-Sharia, or Supporters of Islamic Law, had initially been blamed for the attack but claimed in a press conference on Wednesday morning that it did not take partm, thought it did support the action. 

The bodies of the dead were transported to the Benghazi airport, to be flown to Tripoli and then onwards to a major US airbase in Germany.

On Wednesday morning, the compound stood empty, with passersby freely walking in to take a look at the damage. Walls were charred and a small fire burned inside one of the buildings. A small group of men was trying to extinguish the
flames and three security men briefly surveyed the scene.

Some blood stains could also be seen in front of one of the buildings. Three cars were torched.

Stevens, a career member of the US foreign service, arrived in Tripoli to take up the post of ambassador in May 2012, having served for years in Libya.

He was the US government's representative to the opposition National Transitional Council during the 2011 uprising against the government of Muammar Gaddafi and had previously been the second-ranking US diplomat in Libya.

Mystery film

The origins of the film, supposedly called "Innocence of Muslims," remained shrouded in uncertainty on Wednesday. At least two news organisations quoted a man calling himself Sam Bacile, who said he was a 52-year-old Israeli-American from California who had written, produced and directed the film with $5 million in donations from "100 Jews".

Bacile said he was a real estate developer, but no online trace of Bacile or his occupation could be found. Steve Klein, a right-wing Christian activists in California who has been described as a consultant to the film, told the Atlantic magazine that he had met Bacile, and that the man was not Israeli, probably not Jewish and likely using a pseudonym.

The film was promoted by Morris Sadek, an extreme anti-Muslim Egyptian Christian who lives in California.

Speaking by phone to the Associated Press from an undisclosed location, the man calling himself Bacile remained defiant, maintaining that he intended his film to be a provocative political statement.

Bacile admitted he had not anticipated such a furious reaction to his film and said: "I feel sorry for the embassy. I am mad".

He also said the film was produced in English and that he did not know who had dubbed it in Arabic. The full film has not been shown yet, he said, and he said he had declined distribution offers for now.

Lukewarm reaction in Cairo

Just hours earlier on Tuesday, thousands of Egyptian demonstrators apparently angry over the same film - a video produced by expatriate members of Egypt's Coptic community resident in the US - tore down the US flag at the embassy in Cairo and replaced it with a black Islamic flag.

While Tunisian President Moncef Marzouki was quoted as describing the Benghazi attack as a "terrorist act," the recently elected government of Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi offered a lukewarm response.

In a statement, Morsi condemned the film's portrayal of Muhammed while stressing that the Egyptian government had a responsibility to guard diplomatic premises.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/09/20129112...

Photo: Egyptians taking down American flag on Tuesday night at embassy. In Libya, the US ambassador reportedly died in the attack on the consulate in Benghazi.

22:49 Gepost door Jan Boeykens in latest breaking News, Libya, US envoy dies | Permalink | Commentaren (0) |  Facebook |